Tuesday, January 4, 2011

BMI, what's yours?

BMI Stands for Body Mass Index. It is used to estimate your total amount of body fat. 


To work out your BMI click here  and fill in the details of your weight and height. OR you can work it out using


weight (kg)
height (m2)


The results of your BMI will put you into a category as to what is accepted as healthy and what is not.


  • Under 18 - you are very underweight and possibly malnourished.
  • Under 20 - you are underweight and could afford to gain a little weight.
  • 20 to 25 - you have a healthy weight range for young and middle-aged adults.
  • 26 to 30 - you are overweight
  • Over 30 - you are obese.

NOW BMI is not the only way to work out and estimate your body fat and there is flaws in this method. One being that it does not determine the difference between muscle and fat.

I would say that the best way to monitor changes in your body is to measure yourself using a trusty old tape measure as this gives you a better understanding as to how you body shape is changing. 

Key areas to measure include:
top of arms
chest
hips
waist
thighs
calf

Most people who lose weight go through a period where they lose weight and then they slow down or go through a stage where they lose nothing. It may happen for many reasons but I have found that if your exercising and eating a healthy diet you may find that the shape of your body is changing instead of the scales, and it goes back to something earlier where muscle weights the same as fat, and lean muscle is better for us than fat (this is something I will talk more about later). So measuring yourself once a month is a great idea!

I found that when I lost 40kg I went through this process of great weight loss then very slow, and after 7-8 months I found it hard to stay focused on where I was going. But I hung in there and read up heaps and the idea of measuring really help me overcome what could have been a throw my hands in the air moment and give up on the goal. So my tip today is hang in there continue doing the right things eat healthy food and do some form of exercise and don't lose sight of the big picture of a healthy life style!

2 comments:

  1. That's a good idea about measuring it would help keep me motivated even when the scales show no or little change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. too scared to do the BMI!!! LOL I have always gone by measurements or the fit of clothing to check my weightloss. Hoping this year is the year to lose it and KEEP it off!

    ReplyDelete